"CIRAS helped us get to the right questions to answer to ensure our product would be successful.
We would not be where we are now without them. We saved months."
- Dave Harvey, President of WindSmart
How to Write a Product Test Plan
Evaluating a new product or part should always begin with development of a test plan. CIRAS routinely walks Iowa companies through this essential step by asking a few key questions:
- What do we need to know? What questions are we trying to answer?
- What are the variables that can affect the product’s performance or impact market acceptance?
- What testing data is needed to help answer the questions?
- What are the environmental conditions in which the product will operate?
Every product or process involves multiple variables that can alter the performance of the item being evaluated. The challenge is figuring out which variables will have the strongest effect.
Design of Experiments (DOE) is a proven methodology that uses statistical analysis to determine which variables have the greatest influence. The DOE process includes:
- Developing problem statement and objectives
- Reviewing process and verifying stability
- Identifying factors (inputs) and their levels to be studied
- Determining experimental “runs” required
- Running the experiments and collecting the data
- Conducting statistical analysis using the test results
- Developing conclusions based on the results
- Nondestructive Evaluation: Tools in the Toolbox (7/2/2020, Webinar)
- Contact Tracing in Support of Your COVID Planning (7/10/2020, Webinar)
- Design A Risk Management Strategy That Holds Water (7/15/2020, Webinar)
CIRAS provides several related services, including: