"We are very happy with the models provided. Thanks again for all your help!"
- Jerry Van Grouw, CIVCO Medical Solutions, Orange City
3D Laser Scanning and CAD Modeling at ISU
A 3D scanner works by first projecting light onto an object or surface, then detecting the reflected light. The scanner then calculates positions and creates data points based on where the light beams fall in relation to each other. This “point cloud” helps a computer visually recreate the surface of an item in a 3D CAD software package.
Benefits of working with 3D laser scanning and other digital design tools include:
- Speed – Scanning allows a company to better evaluate design options and complete numerous iterations of the design process within the digital realm before ever making a prototype
- Accuracy – The process allows greater quality control and helps ensure conformity with specs so companies can give customers what they want
- Cost – A faster development time saves cost up front, while greater accuracy and better quality saves money down the road
CIRAS can help an Iowa business understand the benefits and limitations of this technology and what it might mean for a specific company. We’ll show clients how to obtain 3D models or scan a part to obtain a dimensional study.
- Virtual Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Course (8/2/2021 - 9/27/2021, Webinar)
- Manufacturing Lean Leaders Roundtable - 10/6/2021 (10/6/2021, Webinar)
- Manufacturing Lean Leaders Roundtable - 10/20/2021 (10/20/2021, Webinar)
CIRAS provides several related services, including: