"It’s very overwhelming. We’re blessed to have CIRAS and Iowa State there to help walk us through the law and how it applies to us."
- Ron Petersen, owner, Summertime Potato Company in Des Moines
Food, Feed, and Grain Regulatory Assistance for Iowa Businesses
CIRAS works with partners across Iowa State University to offer a full suite of food safety and quality services focused on helping Iowa food companies grow their businesses.
Our services include:
- Regulatory food safety education and implementation coaching: CIRAS is committed to helping Iowa companies become better educated about food safety and more prepared to handle related challenges through preventive controls. Certified instructors deliver courses and individual training on regulations from the FDA, USDA, OSHA, etc.
- Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP)
- Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Preventive Control Qualified Individual (PCQI)
- Internal Audit of Food Safety Plans; See video on preparing for food safety certification.
- Mock audits
- Inspection assistance
- Food recall, traceability, and crisis counsel: Outbreaks and recalls can and do happen. CIRAS can help create an effective crisis management plan for the recall process. We can also assist with product traceability and disposition, as well as re-analysis of the food safety plan.
- Food equipment assessment: CIRAS experts can coach teams on prioritizing equipment design improvements and show them how to evaluate new equipment design using industry best practices based on current regulatory requirements.
- Product and process development: CIRAS can connect Iowa companies with a wide variety of resources at Iowa State University to explore whether a new idea is suitable for market. Available services include:
- Shelf life studies
- Scale-up studies
- Problem solving
- Consumer panels
- Verification activities
- Process validation
- Pilot facilities for human and animal foods and feed
- Water balancing
- Virtual Lean Coffee - Thursdays (7/2/2020, Webinar)
- Virtual Lean Coffees - Fridays (7/10/2020, Webinar)
- ILC Virtual Workshop - Better Decision Making: Avoiding the Conclusion Trap and Other Pitfalls (Part 2) (7/14/2020, Webinar)
To seek guidance about food safety and quality or to schedule a no-cost assessment, contact CIRAS Food Account Manager Brenda Martin.
CIRAS provides several related services, including: