"There is no group of human beings who are more positively associated with positive outcomes than first line supervisors."
- Tom Peters, 2010 Iowa Advanced Manufacturing Conference.
Use TWI to Develop Leadership Skills of Supervisors
Given the demand for skilled employees in Iowa, developing a company’s management team to become more effective leaders is a key step in attracting and retaining top manufacturing talent. Iowa businesses need to be able to get the most they can out of employees they already have.
Training Within Industry (TWI) consists of three standardized programs that teach essential skills needed by all employees, regardless of industry, who are responsible for the work of others:
- Job Instruction Training (JI) teaches supervisors how to quickly train employees to do the job correctly, safely, and conscientiously
- Job Relations Training (JR) teaches supervisors how to build positive employee relations, increase cooperation and motivation, and resolve conflicts effectively
- Job Methods Training (JM) teaches supervisors how to continuously improve the way jobs are done
Each of the TWI programs uses a “learn by doing” approach to solve real problems, practice skills learned, and coach students for implementation in the workplace. TWI’s three programs have shown documented benefits including:
- Reduced training time
- Fewer accidents
- Improved morale, fewer grievances, and increased job satisfaction
- Less scrap and rework
- Less tool and equipment damage
- Improved bottom line results
- Reduced cost
- Increased throughput
- Continuous improvement
- ILC Coaching Kata Overview (5/18/2021, Webinar)
- Cobots and Machine Tending (5/18/2021, Webinar)
- Iowa Lean Manufacturing Lean Leaders Roundtable (5/19/2021, Webinar)
CIRAS provides several related services, including: