Senior Capstone Design
What is senior capstone design?
Each student within the College of Engineering is required to take a formal "Capstone" course during their senior year in which they apply their education experience to a real-world project. Students form teams and work with companies or other sponsors on a project. The ISU College of Engineering offers several capstone courses. For full details, see the College of Engineering Capstone site.
Projects are developed and managed together by the company and faculty. The company works with the student team during the semester(s). Each project consists of two key elements:
- Engineering analysis on a product or process
- Solutions and/or design recommendations
What are the benefits of senior capstone design?
- Apply additional engineering resources to a topic of interest: investigate an engineering problem, redesign an existing product or process, or explore a new product concept or technology platform.
- Use Capstone projects to "seed" innovation projects within the company.
- Engage students as potential future employees.
What can the College of Engineering and CIRAS do for my company?
The College of Engineering and CIRAS collaborate with companies on various R&D projects. These projects allow companies to access "people and technology" (e.g., students, faculty, researchers, and labs) for pursuing various kinds of innovation. Capstone projects represent one type of these collaborations.
We can initiate project discussions, determine scope, and access the appropriate Iowa State resources for your project interests.
What is my next step?
Contact this staff member to see what CIRAS can do for you.
|Carey E. Novakfirstname.lastname@example.org|